Friday, August 24, 2012

One Day At a Time.

I had my 2nd round of chemo two days ago. I am actually feeling better then I expected. Which is such a blessing. The thing that I hate the most about chemo is that your taste buds change. For example, water tastes like metal. Chocolate is so gross. It's so depressing when neighbors or friends drop off treats and they have chocolate in them, because I know it wont taste good to me. So I let the people in my family enjoy them. Over all it's the thought that counts and I have been so grateful for those who have taken the time to drop something off or come visit. Just my taste buds drive me nuts at this time cause I am still figuring out what tastes good and what doesn't. I currently love garden tomatoes and fresh fruit. Their flavor stays pretty much the same, but everything else that I eat is trial and error. I never know if it's food that I will have to force myself to eat or if it is something that I am actually going to enjoy eating. Just the whole taste budd thing gets old really fast.

Tomorrow is a big day for me. I will be shaving all the hair off of my head. To be honest I have mixed feelings about it, because having hair is such a feminine, womanly thing and to not have it, well... would make any woman feel less of herself. Minus the women that naturally look beautiful bald. I know that shaving my head is going to be a little bit of a self confidence breaker, but i will just have to get used to it. On the other hand, my hair is shedding like crazy. It is so depressing when I do my hair, because of how much hair falls out just by brushing it. I really hate the fact that I am losing my hair, but I have no control over it and it will all fall out eventually. Most of it has. It also gets annoying having to deal with how much it sheds. So might as well get it out of the way and shave it off so I don't have to worry about it. People always try and make me feel better by saying, Don't worry about it,  your hair will eventually grow back. I know it will, but it takes time, and I also think in my head, your not the girl that has to shave it, So it's easier for you to say don't worry, when I know this experience is going to affect me in one way or another. On a happier note. I think I am really going to miss my hair being all these colors. Its been fun. It will be sad to see them go.

Overall things right now are good. This 2nd round has gone much better than the first. I just hope that it stays that way til my next round. Also, a lot of people have told me they don't want to call or visit because they think I am being bombarded by a lot of people. I just want to let you know I am not. I love getting visitors and seeing some of you that I haven't in a long time. I just never know how I am going to feel from day to day. Just let me know when you want to come visit and I will let you know my status. Thanks again for all the love and support. Love you all.   

4 comments:

  1. I just love you. I want to come see you before I move :) Send me your phone number over facebook! We can figure out a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks about food tasting different. I think you are going to look so good without hair. I think I remember you as a bald baby for the first long time of your life. Good luck. Hope you post some pictures because I just imagine you being a cute bald lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn,

    I just want to let you know that I am thinking about you. I read your blog and was touched by the spirit. I have been fasting and praying for you, and you are such an amazing example in my life. I would love to come visit you sometime so I will contact you after I get started teaching and settle back in. You are so beautiful and your attitude about all this is remarkable. Thanks for sharing what you are going through so we can feel updated and involved. Your faith is incredible, and I will continue to pray for you. Love you.
    Bryndy Maxfield

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your blog I will never take the taste of food lightly again. I live for food and I'm so sorry that it is a hard thing for you right now. You are such a delightful person and you are beautiful with or without hair!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete