Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Surgery + Chemo round 2

Yesterday I had a portacath surgically placed in my chest. The port is for making it easier for me to get chemo. The surgery went fine. The doctors didn't totally knock me out. I actually remember most of the surgery. I wasn't in pain or anything just kinda floated in and out during surgery. I was kinda mad because during the surgery I realized that the actual doctor wasn't doing the surgery, the resident doctor was that one that was doing the procedure. I was a little upset that they didn't ask me before hand if that was ok. It was kinda funny though listening to some of their conversations while I was in surgery. I heard the doctor guiding the resident on something and he said "Now remember not to do such and such because she is skinnier than the last guy. He was reeaally BIG." Ha ha. Poor big guy that went before me.
I came out of surgery fine. A couple of other things that made me mad was that we checked into the hospital and the nurse told us that the doctor was 2 hours behind on his surgeries! So I sat in this little surgical prep room for 2 whole extra hours that I didn't need to be there! So annoying! If a surgeon is that behind I think the hospital should call you and be able to tell you whats going on and tell you to come into the hospital later. Then I got home and everything was good until about 930pm I looked down at my port, and the gauze that was covering it was 3/4ths full of blood. So I thought great one thing after another. So we called the hospital to talk to a doctor to see what I needed to do. I called 3 times over a 3 hour time period until I finally talked to a doctor! 3 hours! So it was midnight by the time I talked to a doctor. That was a frustrating experience for sure. Turns out that it was just extra blood that was oozing from the site. The doctor told me to just change the gauze and put a new one on and if it continued bleeding to call back. So my mom got to play doctor and she fixed me up. I haven't had bleeding since. So I was blessed not to have to go back to the hospital and that it wasn't something that was a huge deal.
I also just got my second round of chemo today. As of now I am still feeling good, but I guess it takes a day or two for you to start feeling really crappy. So we will see what happens. Although my oncology doctor was really pleased with my cell counts and how things are looking. She was super positive about everything and that things are headed in the right direction. That is always nice to hear. Over all things are good. Thanks to all who have been so supporting, not only to me, but also my family. I will say this again and again we are truly blessed! Thank you for the prayers on my behalf. It gives me strength every day, because I can feel those prayers! So keep them coming cause that is what we need the most!

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing!! Stay strong! Well keep praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that medicine has come as far as it has so you can be helped. Keep a positive attitude and you'll be able to handle things you never thought you could. We love you! Amy

    ReplyDelete