Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hair...

Going through this cancer I was told that I would be losing my hair. My doctor said within two weeks of starting chemo that I would probably want to shave it off. Well she was right. My hair started falling out pretty fast. Then once I colored it, I felt like it started to fall out even more.Not only was it annoying to have my hair shed all over me, but It was so depressing when it got to the point to where my hair would come out in globs everytime I touched it. It was then that I knew I had to shave my head sooner or later.     





On Saturday the 25th of August I had a head shaving BBQ at my parents house with close friends and family. There was alot of mixed feelings for me that night, because I knew that I would eventually be shaving all my hair off. I was suprised by some of my nephews and one of my brothers. They showed their support by coloring their hair some of the colors that were in my hair, before I had to shave it off. Then later that night they also ended up shaving their heads. My nephew Josh told some of my friends "I colored my hair because I am kinda, sorta supporting my Aunt Kathryn." I got a good laugh out of that.




After we all ate, it was time to shave my head. My sister- in- law grabbed a chair and I went over and sat down. It wasn't until I looked up that I realized how many eyes were on me. It kind of took me back for a second. I thought, maybe I don't want this many people watching me shave my head, but deep down I knew that the people that were there watching, are people that love and support me the most. I decided to do some things with my hair before I shaved it all off. First I did a Mullet, then I did a Mohawk with steps in it. For me it made the situation a little lighter and I also got to see what I would look like with those classy hairdos.





 






The hard part finally came.... shaving all my hair off. There were some points and times when my head was being shaved that I thought, This isn't that bad. Then there was parts where I was choking back the tears, telling myself not to cry. It was hard not to cry especially when my sister was sitting right in front of me crying the whole time my hair was coming off. There were others that were emotional and some that couldn't even watch. My husband didn't even come out til it was all over and thats when I really lost it. There was lots of mixed emotions that night especially for me. As of today I still get a little emotional about not having any hair, but I know that this is going to take some time getting used too. It's weird looking into a mirror and remembering that you have no hair. I now also know what it feels like to have your head rubbed when it shaved. It feels way good!

 
 

Other than that I am feeling much better then I expected with this second round of chemo. I know the lord is watching over me and blessing me every step of the way. I feel like some of the hardest parts are over, but I know there will be more struggles to come.




16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn! You look FANTASTIC! What the heck.... you can totally pull off bald. I found myself actually getting jealous! :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, you look gorgeous, just as I knew you would! I remember when we shaved my mom's head it was super emotional. You handled it like a champ. You're as stunning as ever. Praying for you always!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooooly tears. when i read the part about christine crying, i lost it. kathryn, your strength is amazing and i can feel it anytime i read one of your posts. i love the picture of your sweet husband and you together- that is one for a frame. you look amazing and as beautiful as ever. keep on keeping on! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that made me cry. You look beautiful even with a mullet and a Mohawk, but really pretty with no hair. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so beautiful! I'm being completely honest when I say that you look fabulous bald (not many people can pull it off). We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so stunning! Seriously! I know you will miss your hair but you pull this off so well!!! I'm sorry that you had to lose your hair, that is so hard. I felt like that was the hardest part for me. You are one brave girl though, I didn't post any pictures of my bald head online until after it started growing back, I was that upset about it ;). Way to embrace your trials Kathryn! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kathryn!
    You're such an inspiration to live life to the fullest! We're praying for you every night! You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are blessed with such natural beauty and I think your spirit shines even brighter without hair. I'm so glad you have such a great family to surround you and that you have a testimony that will help you through. You are such a great example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm with emily, the tears were inevitable. you are amazing kathryn and i hope you know how loved and supported you are. your strength is admirable and your courage is unbeatable. gamma may not meet together weekly, but we come together in this trial of yours with hope, prayers, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stylist looks like a demon! Where was the red-eye filter on that one? I may need to speak to the photographer about that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never hesitated when I say I wouldn't care if I shaved my head because "it's just hair and it grows back." I think I've grossly underestimated the courage it takes to not have it. I cried when I saw the pictures. Mostly I cried because you are still so beautiful. With those eyes and gah, that SMILE....Kat, it doesn't matter how many colors your hair is, if you have any, or if you are wearing a paper bag. You have a gorgeous INFECTIOUS smile that makes you hands down the most beautiful girl in every room.

    as i saw these pictures, even if you were faking it, all I could think of was this scripture in my head.

    " Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come." d&c 68:6 we recited it every week at gamma and how fitting that that's what you are doing now. I love you. xo

    p.s. that MOHAWK?!!? seriously the raddest thing ever!!! I love the steps. why do you hog all the coolness?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are beautiful inside and out. Your eyes sparkle with or without hair. Your courage is your shining armour. The Spirit is with you in your countenance and shines strongly for all of us to see. We send our prayers and love for a speedy recovery to happen for you. Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. KATHRYN!! Beautiful, beautiful woman! This post is making tears come, just like the rest of these people. You are absolutely amazing and so full of greatness. I have always thought so, but this blog has been so incredible to read. You are one very strong woman. I admire this strength you have and like Mandi said, your smile! You light up the room and miss seeing you and that big, bright smile. You are going through tough stuff and yet still glow and radiate. I am sure it isn't always easy, and it is perfectly healthy to cry and laugh and scream and dance through trials, but these pictures are priceless. Thank you for this post, but thank you so much for sharing your strength and starting this blog. We are praying for you here in Mexico, and I know many others are too. You are awesome and I love you!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You rock it like a champ! Sorry I am not there to support you. It won't be long now. I look forward to reading all your updates. I check this thing multiple times a day thinking there might be another post. Just know I am thinking about and praying for you daily. Keep up you head up! I know you will get through this thing with or without your hair. Love Brian

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathryn you are an amazing women. I look up to you in so many ways. You have always been such an amazing example of love and laughter to me. You still look beautiful in all of these pictures, and I know part of it is because you have the spirit with you. Words truly cannot express how much I admire your faith and hope. I am grateful for the opportunity of knowing such an incredible woman like you. Your example is blessing my life. I will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete