Saturday, September 1, 2012

Making it through

Well... I am making it through my second round of chemo. For the most part things have been going really well, but I will say that the chemo did eventually catch up to me. It wasn't until the fifth day after I had gotten my chemo that I started to feel crappy. Then a few days after that I just got feeling worse. When the chemo gets to you it almost makes you feel like you have the flu. The whole time your body is just achy, you feel like you might be getting a fever, because you feel so hot, but then that goes away in a matter of seconds. Then you feel like you might be a little nauseous then that goes away and it's this never ending cycle. In the end you just wish you would throw up, because you think it will help you feel better, but it doesn't. Thankfully after that third day I started feeling better.

My next round will be this coming Wednesday. It's weird to think that after my next chemo I am halfway through. Getting chemo makes for a long day. Nothing to look forward too. I normally am at Huntsman most of the day. In the morning I get blood labs drawn. Then I visit with my doctor and we check and make sure that all my blood labs are ok. Then the worst part of the whole day happens. I get a spinal tap. They check my spinal fluid every time I go in for chemo to make sure that the cancer hasn't spread to my spine or brain. While they are at it they also inject chemo into my spine, because the chemo I am already getting doesn't affect my brain. So it's all precautionary, but I hate it! The actual procedure isn't bad, it's just the way I feel after they inject the chemo into my spine. My body really just doesn't feel right, like it doesn't know what to do with the chemo. It really is the worst feeling to me. I dread every time I have to get it. Then after the spinal tap they send me to the infusion room to get my round of chemo. To get a round of chemo takes me 4 hours. So in the mean time, I will either be blogging or learning how to knit. Also my sweet mother stays with me all day the days I have chemo. So for those of you wanting to help my mother out, the days I have chemo are the perfect days to ask, which is normally Wednesdays, but don't tell her I told you that! I don't know if she would be very happy with me.

As of how I am feeling in general. I would say alright. This is Max's first week of having full time school and work. I will be honest, it's hard for me to have him gone that much during this time. At some points I really missed him and wished he was here by my side, but I am thankful for visitors and especially my mother that keep me company.      

2 comments:

  1. Your mom is the best. I'm glad she is there for you! I'm sure Max wants to be with you too but the timing of this whole thing is really hard. You are so sweet and I'm so sorry it's so hard. Good thing you are so strong! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe this business with the spinal tap!!! Holy cow, I'm sorry. That doesn't sound pleasant at all. You are halfway done though!!! That's so great! Hang in there girl!

    ReplyDelete